Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My interview with my father

Conor O’Neill
For thousands of years, man has gone around the world searching for the answers to the problems that has plagued him. From generation to generation, the human race has passed down the answers to these problems to their offspring so that they could learn the same important and timeless truths. That’s why, when thinking about who was the most influential person in my life, I chose my father. My father has always been there to guide me along my life’s path, and I have a strange feeling that I will miss that guidance when I leave for college. To pay homage to this, I asked my father if I could interview him.

1) What do you do for a living?
PO: I am the Northern Controller and manager of State Streets Global advising sector. This means that I handle large sums of money from corporations all over the world.

2) Why did you choose this profession?
PO: To be honest I really didn’t want to go into any type of accounting field when I went into college. My football coach suggested that I look into accounting, when I did I liked it so I just fell into it.

3) How did your education help you become better prepared for employment?
PO: When I was in high school I got absolutely terrible grades. I never worked hard and thought that any passing grade was a good grade to get. When I got into college I had to keep my grades up in order to play football. I learned that when I applied myself, things can easily. I ended up graduating with a 3.8 GPA and getting a great job. My education taught me that if I worked hard, good things would happen.

4) How did you feel about high school as a child?
PO: I hated it. I treated it like a joke and I hardly ever tried to do anything productive.

5) What was your most memorable event in high school?
PO: My most memorable high school experience was winning the GBL championship in football my senior year. The team had worked so hard and it meant a lot for us to win it.

6) What is your biggest regret about high school?
PO: My biggest regret is not trying as hard as I could. If I had tried harder then I might have gotten into a better college and who knows where my life would have gone from there.

7) If you could change one thing in your life, what would it be?
PO: This is a tough one. I think if I could change one thing in my life, it would be the way I handle difficult situations. Sometimes I get a little over-heated when things don’t work out perfectly and that only exacerbates the problem.

8) How important do you think education is to a person’s success?
PO: I think it’s very important. It’s absolutely vital to educate a person’s body and mind in order for them to grow.

9) Who where your heroes as a child? Why?
PO: MY one hero growing up was defiantly my dad. He was a good role model, for the most part, and was always someone that I could bring my problems to when things got tough.

10) If you could give me one piece of advice, what would it be?
PO: I’ve given you a lot of advice over the years, but if there was one thing I would want you to always remember, it would be this. Always try your hardest. It’s that simple, when you try your hardest, things simply fall into place like a puzzle.

This interview brought a ton of new information about my father into light. I had always though that his nagging me to do work had juts been to torture me. In reality, however, he just wanted me to do my best so that I would not have the regret that he now carries from not doing his best in high school. This has changed my vision of my father top change drastically from a satanic creature, to a more caring and pleasant person. The answers that my father, Paul, provided for this interview where not only wise, but also very inspiring. As a matter of fact, they inspired me so much that I decided to actually finish and try my hardest on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment